Wednesday 13 March 2013

SONG OF THE DAY - Flume | Holdin On

I can't tell you why I had this on a loop most of last night but I couldn't leave it alone. I couldn't stop listening to it. I think repetitive listening might become a problem today, too.

The sample of the vintage disco/soul vocal from Antony White's "I Can't Turn You Loose" shouldn't work with an electronic, 'off' dub beat but 21-year-old Flume has definitely managed it.

There's a lot to be said for young, "bedroom" producers in this field of music - Harley Streten (as I'm sure his mother still calls him when she's on the war path) was only 13 when he began playing with music, taking samples and "chipmunked" vocals with his products being played on his native Australian radio networks soon after.

(Taken from his self-titled EP, available through the Future Classic website)